Wednesday, August 13, 2008

North Carolina Botanical Gardens



In an earlier post, I mentioned that the girls and I visited the NC Botanical Gardens. Yesterday, we went again with Maggie and Stephen. We had been considering a visit to the planetarium, but the weather was so gorgeous, we just had to be outside. It was like October in South Florida - warm and sunny, not too humid, with a light breeze to cool things off a bit.

At the main gate, there's a display of what's in bloom that day - beer or soda bottles with plant clippings, with name tags below. After checking it out (wild rice, purple coneflower, some kind of mallow that looks like hibiscus), we walked along the habitat trail and saw plants from the coastal and mountain regions of North Carolina. I took pictures of plants I recognized from my yard, along with their name tags, so I can add to my 100 Species list.

There's a lot to explore at the Gardens. Some of our favorites are the carnivorous plant area, finding fairies in the herb garden, and digging in the children's area. We bought a Venus Flytrap to take home. It's on our kitchen counter now, and this morning the kids and I fed it bits of leftover meatloaf. I'll have to do some research and find out if we doomed it to death.

No comments: