Sunday, August 31, 2008

Doone Valley Thyme - Thymus citriodorus 'Doone Valley'



Mary and I bought this thyme from the herb lady at the farmers' market. She was selling several varieties of thyme, and this is the one Mary picked. She wants to plant a thyme garden, like in the Edward Eager book The Time Garden that she read over the summer. Here's the description of the book, copied from Amazon: Four cousins spending a summer in a house by the sea discover a magic thyme garden from which they embark on a number of adventures back and forth through time.

Doone Valley thyme is lemony smelling, and can be used in cooking. I can't tell the difference between different varieties of thyme, but now I can recognize thyme in general, by its small leaves and creeping habit. It makes a good ground cover. If we get more varieties of thyme and I learn to tell them apart, I will list them separately; otherwise, this will be my only thyme entry.

We're up to six:
1. Poison ivy
2. Virginia creeper
3. Wild blackberry
4. Lamb's Ear
5. Great laurel
6. Doone Valley Thyme

No comments: