Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Great Laurel


Great laurel (rhododendron maximum) is a large shrub or small tree. It's related to the azalea, which I knew by sight and spelling from Central Florida. This is the first time I've had to spell rhododendron, and I had to check it three times against the photo of the name tag I took at the NC Botanical Garden.

You've gotta figure something with "maximum" in its name is going to grow too big to be planted in front of a window, but that's where I first saw this plant. We have them on both sides of the front door. I was going to trim them back, but it looked like they were starting to bud, so I left them alone. The USDA website says it blooms in the spring, so I'll have to wait a while to see what it does before trimming. I took this picture in the mountain habitat section of the NC Botanical Garden.

That makes five.
1. Poison ivy
2. Virginia creeper
3. Wild blackberry
4. Lamb's Ear
5. Great laurel

No comments: