Monday, October 6, 2008

Fall-blooming azalea (rhododendron sp.)



I never knew azaleas bloomed in the fall. I've only seen them bloom in the spring. But lately I've been seeing fall-blooming azaleas for sale in nurseries, and lo and behold, I've got some fall-blooming azaleas in my yard! I already recognized the azaleas when we moved here, but I figured I'd wait until spring to put them in my 100 Species list so I could take pictures of them when they were blooming. But here they are now! I don't know which species they are. There are thousands of species and named varieties.

According to Wikipedia, a traditional alcoholic beverage is made from azaleas in Korea, and azaleas are the most common toxic plant that dogs ingest. Useful to know.

1. Poison ivy
2. Virginia creeper
3. Wild blackberry
4. Lamb's Ear
5. Great laurel
6. Fireworks Goldenrod
7. Orange Jewelweed
8. Blue Anise Sage
9. Sage
10. Greek oregano
11. Rosemary
12. Azalea

No comments: