Sunday, September 21, 2008

Gardening


I spent the weekend building a square foot garden. You start by making a 4x4 foot box, then fill it with good dirt (a mix of peat moss, vermiculite, and compost), divide the box into 16 square-foot sections, and plant each square with something different. Last weekend I started assembling my materials: wood, screws, long strips of plastic for the grid, and my dirt ingredients. Audrey was eager to see what was in the big bags I brought home from the garden center. After I dumped the bags onto a tarp in the driveway, she helped me mix the ingredients by pulling each corner toward the middle. Then we decided the most effective way to mix the dirt was by turning it over and over with our "mama and baby shovels." She had a great time playing in the big dirt pile. She got a nice, long shower afterwards!

Today Audrey helped me plant and water broccoli, romaine lettuce, and pansies. She likes scooping, pouring, digging, and dumping, so gardening is a lot of fun for her.

No comments: