Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fireworks Goldenrod (Solidago rugosa 'Fireworks')


When I was out shopping for a big bag of vermiculite for my square foot garden, one of the garden centers had a plant that looks just like the one that recently started blooming in my yard. I borrowed a pen from one of the employees so I could write down its name. Solidago rugosa 'Fireworks' or Fireworks Goldenrod. I asked the lady if goldenrod was what so many people were allergic to, and she said, "Goldenrod gets a bad rap. It's ragweed that causes most of the problems." She told me that bees and butterflies use goldenrod as a nectar source, and birds like the seeds. Some people consider it a weed, but it's a good kind of weed.

Now I have six:
1. Poison ivy
2. Virginia creeper
3. Wild blackberry
4. Lamb's Ear
5. Great laurel
6. Fireworks Goldenrod

No comments: